3.15.2010

Dr. Seuss How did you get so smart?

Did you know that have always been in love with Dr. Seuss? It is true. I think my love affair started when I was just a wee babe and my dad would read the classics to us. Then, when I became a mommy,  The Dr. suess collection was one of my first purchases. I wanted to introduce my children to his visionary, picturesque world.  The imaginative characters, the rhymes and use of trisyllabic meter makes for a great frolic. I know that a lot of people think his books are full of  gibberish and tomfoolery. Gibberish? Not to me. Tomfoolery? Absolutely. That's what makes him so bloody great! ( And wise beyond his years.)

Sometimes I lay in bed and think about some of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes. Yes, I am 32. why do you ask?


Today you are you,                                                             
that is truer than true.
There is no one alive
who is youer than you.

If you never did, you should.
These things are fun and
fun is good.

And you will succeed?
Yes indeed, Yes indeed!
Ninety-eight and three-quarters
percent gauranteed.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind.

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me. (My fav)

When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bottle paddle battle.
 
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird,
and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours,
we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
 
If you'd never been born, then you might be an Isn't!
An Isn't has no fun at all. No, he disn't.
 
Poor empty pants
with nobody inside them. (My other fav)
 
I'm afraid that sometimes you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.
 
All those Nupboards in the Cupboards they're good fun to have about.
But that Nooth gush on my tooth brush.....Him I could do without.
 
 
And there you have it...There are many more that I am absolutely mad about, but if I post them all, each one won't stand out because they are all so wonderful. Did I mention that I used Dr. Seuss references in a talk I gave in sacrament? Yes, It was a success. You can't go wrong with Dr. S.

No comments: