6.30.2011

Who is the Fairest One of All?



I have to say, I love my fair skin.

I wish people who had fair skin would just embrace it and love it. Unless you are naturally dark by the good graces of god, it is just better to let your skin be. If I could do away with self tanning cremes, lotions, sprays and  the like, I would. I won't go on about the fact that tanning salons make my stomach turn. But now that you mention it... I should just ask...Does the surgeon general have any warning signs on the doors of these places?  Why are we wanting to be something that represents unhealthy and dangerous skin? Sure, it may look good now, (and smoking made us look cool, right?) but regret is just waiting around the corner. And it comes in the form of aged wrinkled decolletes, sun spots and cancer.

When I was young and impressionable, I was ridiculed due to my fair skin. I would be in my swimming suit and other kids would say "Wow! Where are my sunglasses!?!"  It made me feel so ashamed of what I naturally was, I started insisting I wear no sun screen and instead, I would beg my mom to let me go tanning. Thank heavens for my Italian genes, I tanned quite nicely once I went into the sun unprotected, but now that makes me sad. I don't want to think of what damage those impressionable few years did to my skin.  Lucky when I was about eighteen, I snapped out of it and realized fair skin is beautiful. I get mad at myself as I think back to about the age of twelve when I became self conscious of my skin color. Why did I ever let other kids determine what was beautiful and acceptable on me?  I will have to pay for that in the form of  high end skin care products for the rest of my life.

My point? Protect yourself in the sun. If you are fair skinned, embrace it. Be happy you are taking good steps at looking great for all the years ahead. Afterall, your skin will be the first thing to show age. Being pale now is much better than being wrinkled and cancer stricken then. I promise.

No comments: