8.31.2011


Levi's New Ad Campaign





I have some real opinions on this. I have debated whether or not  I should go into it because I feel I often times give too much of an annoyed point of view on things. BUT... I can't help myself today. I will, in the future, choose my battles. But even if this were the future, this would be one battle I would definitely choose. My reason for weighing in on this one: This ad campaign uses the words of Charles Bukowski, who is in my opinion,one of the all time greats. And although this commercial is beautiful to listen to (Thanks to Bukowski, not Levi's)  I find it undermines everything he stood for. And frankly, I think it's an insult.

Some of the YouTube comments were great on this topic.  I found this one by FreddiPhillips. I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Conflicting piece of art. Alone it would work for me, but this way it really just confuses me. It's an anarchistic piece that stands behind a huge greedy Corp. that has been funding heavy pockets for the longest time. Also, This is directed at the western world it seems....What are these good looking brats complaining about then? Have these people traveled to the rest of the world? Protest for what? better Internet speed? Please clarify....


PS. Beautiful song and images."

Don't get me wrong, I really like Levi's. I like their brand, I like their designs, I like their quality. In fact, I love Levi's... as far as jeans go. But did they really need to take it upon themselves to sell all of the freedom and hope that Bukowski wrote about? That stuff is free.

Honestly, I don't know why I care so much. It just bothers me. As another YouTube commenter said,
"You can do all of these things in crusty, thrifted, brandless jeans. Remember."



The Laughing heart
By Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

No comments: