3.16.2011

 UGH!


I have a teenage son. He loves to skateboard. His favorite past time would be going to all the skate parks in Utah and testing them out. He has two best friends that join him on all these little adventures. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I have been designated as the driver/chaperon  for all of their little exploits. Which is fine, I believe in supporting my kids (and their friends) in whatever it is they want to do. 

A few days ago while driving thirty minutes away to try out a new place, I casually mentioned to the boys that I should take them to Southern California to check out some real skate parks. Did I think they would take me seriously? Perhaps. But, did I really have any intention of going? Sure, maybe someday... So what am I doing right now? I am packing. We are leaving out bright and early tomorrow to catch a flight to Long Beach.

Normally I would be thrilled to be going on a last minute perilous venture. I live for this sort of thing... Or I should say, I lived for this sort of thing. I can't decide if I am just getting old and responsible?  No, that can't be it... I still jump on beds and laugh at people. So what is it? Why am I lacking in the spontaneity department? Looking back, it has been a while since I have caught a plane with no destination in mind. Am I becoming boring?... I always knew it would happen eventually. I just hoped it would be once I was dead.

No comments: